Friday, August 4, 2017

Do You Have New Shoes? Preschool/Kindergarten

Have you noticed that when your children come to school with new shoes their main objective in life is to show them off? Indeed, this seems to be a common fascination amongst our youngest. Who would have thought that something so simple as a new pair of shoes would create such a celebratory mood? Well, then, why not capitalize on this?
Here's what I do:
Step 1: During circle time, I ask, "Does anyone have new shoes on today?"
Step 2: If so, I continue, "Would you like to come to the middle of the circle and do the "New Shoe Dance"? Sometimes the answer is "yes", and sometimes the reticent respond, "no."
Step 3: If yes, I sing the "New Shoe Song" and the lucky children who have new shoes get to dance their hearts out. If "no", I find a way to sing it anyway and congratulate the child while they sit and listen.
Preschool is a time for celebrations of all sorts. Don't leave out the most natural and easiest! New shoes and don't forget those Boo-Boo's I told you about before!
Have a wonderful year blessed with joy and love in your classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment